Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sparkle & Smell: DIY Handmade Soap


There isn't an awful lot one can do whilst off sick (other than trawling the internet and occasionally blogging) and soap making definitely seemed too onerous a task. However, the nice folks at 'AO at Home' had already posted a soap making kit my way (as part of a competition) and I thought it would be rude not to give it a go. Believe me when I say this whole soap making malarkey was actually pretty effortless, at least my version of it.  All it took was a bit of chopping ( the soap block), a few short rounds of microwaving and a tiny bit of creative energy. Here is how I did it..


You will need:
  • A soap base. I was sent a Stephenson version. You can also buy other varieties on the Hobbycraft or Amazon websites.
  • Moulds. You can also buy these online or use whatever is available at home. Cake moulds, muffin trays or even ice cube trays could work.
  • A chopping board and knife
  • A microwave for melting the soap base ( although you could also use the gas hob)
  • Fragrance. I like pure essential oils and I used a lavender one which my mother-in-law sent me a while ago. You are spoilt for choice online.
  • Dried lavender for decoration. You can use anything else you fancy ( orange peel, dried flowers etc) but it makes sense to match your fragrance and decorations.
  • Edible champagne glitter. I like the idea of looking 'sparkly' clean.


Method:
  • Cut the soap base into smaller chunks for ease of melting.
  • Melt in the microwave ( no more than 90 seconds typically for a small batch)
  • Add a few drops of essential oil to the melted base.
  • Add a few drops of essential oil and glitter to the bottom of your moulds
  • Pour the melted soap up to around halfway mark.
  • Add the lavender sprig and more glitter and allow to cool for about 15 mins.
  • Pour more melted soap on top  and finish with a bit for oil and sparkle. You don't need more than 3-4 drops of fragrance oil per soap unit but it is entirely a matter of personal choice.
  • Allow to cool for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
  • Once the soap is completely hard, lightly run a sharp knife around the edge of the soap and push the soap chunk out of the mould.
  • Package prettily. I used the Paperchase wrapper shown in the photos to give it a 'Claus Porto' effect.


And that is it people. A super easy DIY and posh organic soap is yours without costing much at all! Let me know how you get on with making your own soap too! Ann x

To get in touch and see the latest on all my adventures, follow me on BloglovinTwitter or Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment