Sunday, March 30, 2014

DIY Easy Cushion Cover


Hello folks! I hope you are all having a lovely weekend. Miracles do happen; I'm on my second blog post in two days! The reason for this is a combination of lack of time and procrastination. Not so long ago, I heard about the Hillary's Blinds Country Crafts Competition via the lovely ladies at The New Craft Society. Hillary's offered me a choice of  fabrics and I chose the Patina Pewter as it looked rich and versatile.  That said, I had *no* idea what I was going to make! I mulled over doing a patchwork jeans number but figured that was better done with floral fabric. Eventually, I decided to make two little cushion covers to replace a couple of very old charity shop sourced ones. I chose to make the covers pillowcase style ( i.e. almost envelope style but not quite)



For making the cover you will need the following

  • fabric
  • measuring tape
  • sewing machine ( or needle and thread)
  • scissors
  • fabric pins
  • tailor's chalk
  • iron


Method:

Step 1: Measure the cushion that needs cover. Cut two pieces of fabric such that you allow a 2.5 cm allowance on each side for seam allowance and 10 cm allowance on on piece of fabric for the envelope cover.

Step 2:  Place the right side of the two pieces of fabric together  with the 10 cm of longer piece folded in to create the envelope cover. Iron and pin the fabric for sewing.


Step 3:  Sew the three 'closed' sides of the cushion cover together. 

Step 4:  Finish the edges of the 'open' side


Step 5:  Iron the cushion and turn the right side out. And its all done and ready to be used!!




I hope you give this DIY  a go; it is so easy to inexpensively upgrade a cushion covers and it feels so good when you make it yourself. Hope you have a lovely week! Ann x

To get in touch and see the latest on all my adventures, follow me on BloglovinTwitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment