Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Stockbridge Restaurant



Living in Edinburgh (and more specifically Stockbridge), I feel spoilt for choice when it comes to places to eat out. The Stockbridge Restaurant is a four minute walk from home and I've passed by it on several occasions, checking out the menu and mentally bookmarking it for a special occasion. I was delighted when I was offered the opportunity to review the restaurant around the time of my birthday. My friend Pip and I celebrate our birthdays a couple of weeks apart so it felt the perfect opportunity for a joint celebration. Pip's a fellow foodie too and so as with all my review sidekicks, her job was also to provide me with a dispassionate view of the evening's meal.



The restaurant is based in one of basement properties on St.Stephen's Street and has a warm and cosy ambience. We were welcomed at the door by a french sounding waitress who offered us a choice of seats. We choose a cosy window corner seat and settled down for the evening. Our meal started with with a couple of glasses of wine and some amuse bouche. Pip chose from the set menu and I went a la carte. I ordered the seared scallops with cauliflower puree for starters and they were perfectly cooked and very very juicy! Pip's smoked mackerel with beetroot and horseradish was equally tasty. 


For the mains, I went for the grilled halibut with quail egg, girolle mushrooms etc. Pip went for a vegetarian option and was quite pleased with it. The portions were quite large, despite being perfectly and elegantly presented. My fish was lovely but with all the others bits that came with it, I felt very full. I must confess that this is largely due us scoffing a lot of lovely artisan bread prior to our main meal.


We asked for a bit of us between the mains and the desserts, because we were full and because we really really wanted to try their desserts. As it happened, there was a pre-dessert on offer too which was a mini trifle. We ended up going for a combination of sorbets and ice-creams for our desserts as anything else would have made it impossible for us to shift post meal. My favourite was the praline ice-cream, it was delightful.

I asked Pip what she thought of the meal.  She didn't have much to fault at all except she thought that at times the service may have been a teeny bit slow. I *thoroughly* enjoyed my meal and what's even better is that I was home in four minutes! I'm a huge believer in supporting local businesses and so here is a shout out to say, do check out this place. It aspires to deliver a top-notch service and I think it absolutely delivers. If you are visiting Edinburgh, Stockbridge is only a 20 odd minute walk from Waverley station and will give you a wholly different perspective of the city. Ann x

P.S. Photos provided by the hotel's PR. For some of my photos, check out my Instagram page.

The Stockbridge Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment