Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thai Style Mussels


Following on from my previous post, I also had to come up with a relatively effortless main course that Ed would like. We love going to Loch Fyne in nearby Elton for a regular fish fix and they used to do a Thai inspired mussel recipe. I thought I'd try and re-create that taste. I bought a kilo of live Scottish mussels from Tescos and cleaned/de-bearded them over running water. This was the only time consuming bit.

In a casserole dish I fried some finely shopped onion and fresh chillies. To this I added some ground giner, garlic and lemongrass. I also added 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp nam pla ( fish sauce), and 1 tbsp lime juice. I let teh mixture cook before added 1.5 cups of water and bringing it to boil. Once boiled I added 1 can of cocunt milk and the mussels. The mussels don't take more than 5 mins to cook. You will know they are ready when they open up nicely like in the photo. I serve dthis with some lovely Tiger loaf.  A lovely meal for a summers evening ( although we are having an Indian summer really)

No comments:

Post a Comment