Saturday, September 10, 2011

Kanga Shift Dress


We went travelling around Uganda and Tanzania earlier this year and I loved the bright fabric prints worn by the local women. It also reminded me of the 2010 ASOS Africa collection which the thrifty girl in me found a little overpriced. So I looked around fabric shops in search of the perfect kanga. Most visible places were touristy and did not have the choice I wanted. Then in Dar-Es-Salaam our taxi driver took me to a tiny shop in the back streets of the city where a lovely African mama sold hundreds upon hundreds of kanga. These are symmetrical fabrics approximately 2m long and were priced at about $3-4 a piece. I was in fabric heaven. This dress I'm modelling is my first dress sewing venture!! Instructions to follow shortly. Hakuna Matata!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment