Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Couscous Salad wiith Mackerel and Nasturtiums


Surprising as it may seem, a series of supermarket purchases inspired to come up with an easy culinary delight. My lunches in recent weeks seemed to always consist of the Cooperative's meal-deal. Despite various options on offer, I always chose the couscous and mackerel salad. It was light, healthy and very very tasty. When I was at a loss as to what to cook one weekend, I decided to recreate and improvise on this recent obsession. Here is how I did it...

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
250g couscous
250 ml veg stock
150g bean sprouts
1 Onion, thinly sliced
4 fillets of smoked mackerel, chopped

Rocket leaves
Nasturtiums
Salt and pepper to taste
Dressing:
25 ml balsamic vinegar
25 ml lime juice
50 ml olive oil


Method:

In a bowl, add boiling stock to the couscous, mix well and cook for 5 mins till the couscous grains are fluffy. Lightly fry the onion in a bit of olive oil, add the chopped mackerel and bean sprouts and continue to fry for a couple of more minutes. Add this mackerel mixture to the couscous and mix well. Mix the dressing ingredients well, add the rocket leaves and nasturtiums and mix it all in with the couscous. Serve!

You can always opt out of the nasturtiums (that was my touch and gave the edible flowers on our allotment more purpose) or replace them with other edible flowers like pansies, borage or violets.

You can make this dish in minutes and it really is delicious. If you don't take my word for it, why not give it a go yourself? Ann x

To get in touch and see the latest on all my adventures, follow me on Bloglovin, Twitter or Facebook .

No comments:

Post a Comment